Life is a song --- sing it. Life is a game --- play it. Life is a challenge --- meet it. Life is a dream --- realize it.
Life is a sacrifice --- offer it. Life is love --- enjoy it.
Sai Baba

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A Real New Year's Resolution I Intend To Keep!

For the last few weeks I've pondered on whether or not I wanted to make a New Year's Resolution. I don't know about you, but I have never been able to fulfill a resolution. I often have great intentions but never the follow through. So why do I even bother making a "real New Year's resolution I intend to keep?"

It's different this time, and I mean different. The recession has greatly impacted me and my family. I truly believe everyone is being affected by the recession.  Some may be blessed to not have to experience a personal job loss or that of a loved one and the struggles and frustrations of trying to find any job. But one way or another the recession has directly or indirectly impacted all of us.  Like so, so many people, my husband and I made financial decisions that we probably should not have made.  But there were also things that we could not control.  It's like the "perfect storm" scenario.  All the little negatives coming together all at once and creating havoc.  Yes...the should haves, could haves, and would haves. Yes, there were things we should have never bought on credit but did. We, like so many, were not financially prepared for the length of this recession. It has forced us to re-examine our priorities and to trim our expenses and cut back. We still have more to go, and that is a "work in progress." Never in my entire life do I ever remember a time like this where I feel like I have been "slapped" in the face to wake me up to the real reality. That's what makes this time "different."

I believe that God works in mysterious ways. My family and I can choose to do nothing and just let things take its course without us having some control of our path.  We can simply be observers in life and not seek out what message and lesson God has in store for us.  I have faith and hope that if we truly listen to Him with our hearts and open mind, then He will lead us to something that is better for us and will better prepare us for our next life journey. Please know, though, that I do sometimes have moments of doubt and frustration, but somehow, with God's grace He always sends me a signal or sign to remind me that my family and I are not alone and that He is with is.  The picture of the footprints in the sand on my blog and the "Footprints" prayer serves as a reminder to me that God is always with us.  Sometimes when we feel that He is not, he is undoubtedly carrying us as we go through very challenging times.

I firmly believe that challenges we face in our lives serve as mechanism for Him to get a message across to us. Sometimes we may not hear a message He was trying to get through to us in less apparent ways, so He resorts to challenges that will wake us up.  I am not totally clear on the EXACT message He is trying to get across to me, but I do know that a message of daily reflections on the teachings of the Bible and Jesus Christ, living within our financial means, live frugally, save money and spend money wisely, and focus on real priorities of family. I am sure there is more, but these are crystal clear to me.  So what exactly is my "real" New Year's resolution? It's to do all those things on a daily basis. Do you have a "real" New Year's resolution? If so, what is it?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your posts. The economy has had a profound impact on my life and the lives of many of my friends. It is not easy for anyone right now. With the inspiration and information that God and this site offers, it can provide guidance and hope for so many. The links are very helpful and I look forward to seeing the affect that this blog will have on others.

TessaLee said...

Thank you so much for visiting my site and posting a comment. I'm glad you find the links useful, and I hope that you will not only keep coming back but that you'll forward this information to your friends!!! Any comments/suggestions is very much appreciated!! : )

Search This Blog